Tawonga Teen Interns
A one-year program where teens build professional skills, work Tawonga programs and build community through fun events. Earn community service hours, make money and build your resume!
Fall 2019 through Summer 2020.
Teens can join on an ongoing basis.
10th-12th graders (in Fall 2019)
No prior Tawonga experience required
Open to all 10th through 12th graders interested in building their resume in the field of youth service in the Jewish community. Through one year of hands-on, skill-building trainings and classes focused on the uniquely resonant Tawonga way of working with youth, as well as social-justice volunteer outings and social gatherings and retreats, teens will come away inspired and empowered to be change-makers in their communities.
Cost & Time Commitment
Free! No cost to join trainings, classes and most outings. Only fee incurred is to attend the Teen Winter Retreat and LA trip. It’s our hope that teens attend as many events as possible, but there is no required minimum amount. Come when you can!
How to Apply
We are still accepting registrations! Click below to register using Camp-In-Touch and feel free to call us for additional information.
Can’t come to every event? That’s OK! We’re here to work with your schedule.
ALL teens are invited to join us at social gatherings and events. In order to work for Tawonga as a teen, the following criteria must be met:
Only 12th graders may work 2020 Family Camp programs. Seniors who have not completed the CIT program must interview and provide references.
- Training required for all 10th, 11th and 12th graders interested in working in the Tawonga Bar, Bat & B’nai Mitzvah Protram as teaching assistants and retreat staff.
- Interview required for 10th, 11th and 12th graders interested in working outreach events, tot shabbats, Erev Rosh Hashanah and one-off events throughout the year.
- Liability waiver required for all overnight retreats and programs.
Upon completion of the program (at which time teens will have staffed real Tawonga programs), all participants will be awarded with a Tawonga Certificate of Youth Training Excellence, granting them paid work status for Tawonga programs as well as for other Jewish agencies.
- Hands-on youth serving trainings, many beginning with a Jewish theme or value as a lens through which to learn
Social justice volunteer outings with local non-profit organizations such as the SF Food Bank and Glide Memorial Church (eligible for community service hours)
- Classic Tawonga bonding fun through Shabbat potlucks, day hikes, dances and Tawonga’s Teen Winter Retreat
- An LA trip over Presidents Day Weekend focused on service and FUN
- Opportunities to staff and get paid for multiple Tawonga programs, including as TAs in Tawonga’s Bar, Bat & Mitzvah Program, counselors at Family Camp and event staff at Tawonga Down the Mountain programs
- Youth Training Excellence Certificate upon program completion, indicating successful work status for Tawonga programs. The certificate can be used to build your resume, include on college applications or provide to another Jewish agency (synagogue, JCCs) for employment verification.
Calendar of Events
2019-2020 Calendar of Events coming soon. Attending every event is not required to join the program. We will work with your schedule!
Presidents Day Weekend Trip, 2020
Details coming soon!
Feel free to reach Tawonga’s San Francisco office if you have questions about the Tawonga Teen Interns program or how to register: 415.543.2267.
Tawonga Teen Interns is a grantee of the Jewish Teen Education and Engagement Initiative (Teen Initiative), a project of the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund, with support from the Jim Joseph Foundation and a consortium of local funders.