Our 2021 season offers a variety of weekend programs for families and individuals to unplug in Tawonga’s beautiful wilderness. Read on to learn about our Family Camp programming, including our Keshet weekend for LGBTQ families, as well as two new weekends: Families of Color Weekend and Women’s Weekend!
Family Camp Overview
With the excellent success and rollout of vaccines, we are able to offer our more traditional Family Camps in 2021 with some modifications for COVID-19 safety like masks, outdoor dining and social distancing!
Here are some key highlights of our Family Camp program:
- Meals – Tawonga will serve delicious meals to families outside. Each family will have their own designated table and the kitchen will provide one tray per family at each meal. We will do our absolute best to honor dietary restrictions and allergies (you’ll let us know what those are when you fill out your forms). We will not be offering buffets or communal meals in our dining hall for safety reasons.
- Housing & Bathrooms – Each family will have their own cabin and will be assigned to a bathroom and shower.
- Activities – We will be offering all of our classic family camp activities including arts and crafts, challenge course, hiking, swimming, s’mores and more! We will celebrate Shabbat as a community (socially distanced) and experience joyous Judaism in nature.
- Camp Tawonga Staff – You can count on the same high quality, loving and wonderful staff that Tawonga employs each year. When staff are leading activities like arts and crafts and the challenge course, they will be masked as an extra precaution, and we will ask families to wear masks as well. All of our staff will be vaccinated.
- Day Groups and Childcare – We are thrilled to be able to offer morning day groups for kids ages three and older. The children will participate in activities outside and masked. For those with little ones under three, we will have some fun baby/toddler and parent activities to enjoy! Due to masking, distancing and staffing constraints as a result of COVID-19, we are unfortunately not able to safely provide childcare in the mornings for children under three. Please note that children under three pay a reduced price. Parents can enjoy evening childcare for all ages once the children are asleep.
- Safety – Safety remains our number one priority which is why we have made all of the above modifications. We will have trusted medical staff on site as always.
- Testing – We will require either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arriving at Camp for each person in the family.
We will be offering these 4-day, 3-night programs in August, September and early October. Click here to see dates and rates.
Family Camp 1: Keshet LGBTQ Family Weekend
August 19 – 22, 2021
For over 20 years, Tawonga’s Keshet LGBTQ Weekend has offered our classic Family Camp experience for LGBTQ families and allies. In 2021, we will be modifying this weekend in accordance with our COVID-19 policies and practices, above. Learn more about Keshet here.
NEW! Families of Color Weekend
September 9 – 12, 2021
Together with partners in the community, we are offering an affinity space just for families with at least one person of color in their household. In addition to being a space of celebration of multiracial Jewish community, cultural richness and connection, this program will have all the aspects of Tawonga’s Families at Camp program: opportunities to unplug, enjoy nature, celebrate shabbat and other classic camp activities, while remaining physically distant for safety reasons. Interested in being on the planning committee? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New! Women’s Weekend
September 17 – 19, 2021
Unplug and immerse yourself in a community of supportive, amazing women – spanning the generations – for a deeply inspiring, joyful experience in Tawonga’s beautiful wilderness. Through morning yoga, hikes in Yosemite, expert-led workshops, a soulful Shabbat celebration and more, this women’s weekend will help you reflect and recharge. For anyone 21 and older and woman-identifying. This will be a kid-free weekend with exceptions made for breastfeeding infants. Learn more here and click here to register.
And check out our Family Camp Packing List before you go!
Work A Weekend Program
Do you have experience with kids? Are you available and interested in working weekend programs, like Families at Camp, for Tawonga? Please click here to be notified of upcoming opportunities.