Bay Area Programs Coordinator
Job Title: Bay Area Programs Coordinator
Reports to: Associate Director, Bay Area Programs
Salary Range: $28 – $33 per hour – this position is a 60% FTE and the annualized salary equivalent based on the hourly range is $34,944 – $41,184 ($58,240 – $68,640 @ 100% FTE)
Location: San Francisco/Groveland
Tawonga’s mission is to provide educational and recreational programs for children, adults and families that foster self-esteem, lifelong friendships and community, connections with nature, commitment to justice, and positive Jewish identity and spirituality. We run programs at our residential campsite next to Yosemite National Park and in the Bay Area, serving over 5,000 people a year.
About Camp Tawonga’s Culture
At Camp Tawonga, we are a caring, collaborative, joyous group of professionals who take great pride in fulfilling our mission and having fun while doing it. We have deep respect for our community, the children and the families who participate in our programs; for nature and the physical world; and for the Jewish value of “tikkun olam” – repairing the world. Our team has taken many different paths to arrive at Tawonga, from growing up as campers at Camp to being brand new to working at a summer camp or even a nonprofit. We are a Jewish organization, and we welcome and are inclusive of all staff and community members, Jewish and non-Jewish alike. We are committed to JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) and the ongoing reflection, learning and action required to be aligned with these values and create and sustain a race equity culture.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Camp Tawonga is an Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and is committed to being an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills, and to hiring people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals and women. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and organizational need.
Job Purpose and Description
The Bay Area Programs Coordinator is a newly created position and contributes to the mission of Tawonga by coordinating and supporting the implementation of our Bay Area programs. This position is responsible for all operations, logistical considerations and programmatic details of our Bay Area based programs and events. This position will support existing Bay Area Programs including Tawonga’s B’nai Mitzvah program, Tawonga Family School, Hebrew classes, Tot Shabbats, holiday program partnerships and high holidays services, as well as new programs as they are developed. This position will provide general administrative support to the agency and will be integral to the success of the Bay Area programs department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Down the Mountain (Bay Area) Programs Materials & Logistics Support
- Responsible for all operations, logistical considerations and programmatic details of all “Down the Mountain” (i.e. Bay Area) programs including Tawonga B’nai Mitzvah program, Tawonga Family School, Hebrew, holiday programs co-sponsored by partner organizations, high holiday services, tot shabbats, family volunteer days, young alumni programming, Passover Seders and other local events
- Develop and steward partnerships with institutions that offer location rentals, such as Urban Adamah, JCC East Bay, JCC SF, JCHS, Gateway High School, local Parks and Rec departments, local school districts, and retreat locations
- Prepare program materials for Bay Area based programs including student handbook, student journal, worksheets, etc.
- Secure all the programmatic sites for Bay Area programs
- Form Tawonga Family School and TBM cohort groups, taking into account family requests
- Procure program materials, food, and other supplies as needed for Bay Area programs
- Manage rainy-day and poor air quality program plans, address COVID-related issues, and other troubleshooting as needed
- Support hiring staff, as needed, including coordinating rides, communicating key information, collecting forms, and other items
Down the Mountain (Bay Area) Programmatic Support
- Attend and support Bay Area programs and classes as determined by Associate and Assistant Directors of Bay Area programs
- Attend and support 2x annually Tawonga’s B’nai Mitzvah Program Retreats
- Schedule and implement tot shabbats and liaison with partner organizations to co-sponsor these events
- Develop and implement logistical elements of High Holy Day programs including securing locations, hiring musicians and service leaders, hiring staff and assigning staff roles, ordering and organizing materials, security, kid programming, marketing, communication, day-of event coordination and leadership, and other program needs as determined
- Be present at bay area programs and lead logistics team onsite as needed to ensure program success
Down the Mountain (Bay Area) Programs Marketing & Communications
- Support existing and potential families by providing excellent customer service on the phone, via email and in person at events
- Build and steward ongoing relationships with families
- Implement marketing activities for Bay Area based programs
- With registrar, ensure registration systems are working properly and collect forms and family information as needed
- Draft, format, send and track program communications and surveys as needed
Summer Camp Support
- Provide logistical support to ensure the smooth drop off and pick up of campers by their parents/guardians, and the transportation of campers to and from summer camp, aka Ruach Ride.
- Prepare all Ruach Ride documents to be printed or disseminated to appropriate staff, including check in and out lines and binders, bus lists (assignments created by Camper Care Director), dramamine lists, documentation for master binder, director packets and health center staff packets and other items as needed.
- Be present at Ruach Ride and provide support in parking lot as needed
- Support San Francisco office team with parent calls, communications, alert lists and other needs, as part of this be on call as needed for evening and weekend coverage, a shared role with the SF team
- Provide general administrative support as needed to all aspects of the agency
- Research and participate in relevant, ongoing, continuous professional development as it pertains to the role and/or business needs (e.g., training materials, coursework, webinars, etc.)
Training, Experience, Skills, and Qualities
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent and demonstrable interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
- Commitment to supporting Tawonga’s efforts to promote justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in all programs
- At least one year of prior administrative experience or experience with program management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Proven ability to work with youth and communicate with parents
- Experience teaching in a formal or informal setting
- Experience as a Jewish educator
- Ability to take and implement feedback
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions in routine and emergency situations
This position reports directly to the Associate Director, Bay Area Programs
This position will heavily use the following types of software:
- Microsoft Office/Google Suite
- Gmail and Google Calendar
- CampMinder (camper/family database)
- Zoom & Zoom Phones
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made that enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Typing, writing, reading, hearing, and speaking
- Use of hands and fingers to operate office equipment, especially a computer
- Standing, walking, kneeling, and frequent sitting with some lifting up to 30 pounds
- This role is primarily based in the Bay Area with some opportunities to visit or work at our Camp location in Groveland.
- Camp Tawonga will provide a company laptop, mouse, keyboard, and reasonable accommodations as needed to ensure the employee can work from home during the off season
- Tawonga’s year round team currently works mostly remotely with a few days in the SF office per month and frequent trips to our Groveland site
- During the summer months, if your work requires you to live at Camp, Tawonga will provide housing, meals, and childcare
Noise level is moderate if working at camp property in Groveland, CA
- May be required to relocate to Groveland site for weekend program(s) as needed
- Willingness to work on evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
Normal Working Hours
During the off-season, hours are flexible while completing tasks associated with job description, and while meeting deadlines; normal office hours are 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties and/or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Job duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice based on the needs of Camp Tawonga.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a part-time (60% FTE), non-exempt, year-round, and benefited position. The pay range for this position is $28-$33 per hour. Camp Tawonga offers a competitive compensation package which includes medical, dental, life insurance, retirement with company match and contribution, and paid sick and vacation leave.
To ensure consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications for and interest in the position. Send applications to email@example.com with, “Bay Area Programs Coordinator”, in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and Tawonga is seeking to hire for this position as soon as possible.