Tawonga Family School
Gather monthly on Shabbat with a cohort of young families to build community, expand Jewish knowledge and explore Jewish values – Camp-style!
East Bay families with children ages 4 to 8 years old
When & Where
Seven 2 ½ hour Saturday sessions in the East Bay from Oct. 2022 – Apr. 2023:
Oct 1 | Nov 5 | Dec 3 | Jan 7 | Feb 4 | March 4 | April 1
2 Cohort Options
– Berkeley | 9:30am to 12pm
– Oakland/Alameda | 1pm to 3:30pm (location to be confirmed)
- Cohorts of 10-12 families will experience moments of Jewish joy by building Jewish community, deepening their Jewish identities and growing their Jewish knowledge.
- Centered around learning, bonding and fun, families will explore Jewish values in personally meaningful and resonant ways while building deep relationships with one another.
- Innovative, Camp-style monthly Shabbat cohort gatherings in the East Bay consisting of 10-12 families, focused on community building, Jewish learning and fun!
- Weather permitting, these gatherings will be held outdoors in local parks or participants’ backyards.
Led by two gifted and dynamic Jewish educators:
Activities & Learning
- Music, stories and dynamic, hands-on learning for the whole family. Sessions will open with a song and a question of the day.
- Celebrating Shabbat monthly in community and breaking bread together.
- Our curriculum is designed for adults and kids together in addition to content geared just for kids as well as just for adults.
- Programming for kids includes games, discussions and crafts to encourage learning with your hands.
- Adults will enjoy space to study and connect Torah and tradition to our daily lives.
- Together, during family learning, we will play games, write skits or songs, run obstacle courses and more!
- If you have been wanting to join a havurah, Tawonga Family School is an ideal setting to build Jewish community with other families in your region and to kickstart the havurah you’ve been hoping to create. Invite a few families to join you, and sign up together!
- $750 per family
We do not want cost to be a barrier for families to experience Tawonga Family School. Financial Assistance is available.
Find Out More & Sign Up
We are now enrolling our cohorts for Fall 2022! Click here to register. Registration is limited and first come, first served.
For questions and to learn more, feel free to reach Meg Adler, Tawonga’s Jewish Educator at email@example.com. If you have children outside of the 4-8 age range and are still curious about the program, Meg can discuss with you if this program is a good fit for your family.
Tawonga Family School Pilot
In 2021, a small cohort of nine families with young children (ages four to eight) participated in a pilot program called Tawonga Family School. The goal? To build Jewish community, deepen Jewish identities and expand Jewish knowledge through a dynamic, Camp-style, monthly Saturday Shabbat cohort gathering. The pilot was such a success that we’re now expanding the program for 2022!
Tawonga Family School has been an incredible experience for our whole family. We have all enjoyed making new Jewish connections and strengthening our relationship with our Jewish faith.
This program has been an amazing opportunity for our family to learn together, connect and get to know other Jewish families. It feels so good to be doing this as a family, and we all feel more deeply connected to Judaism and to the Jewish calendar.
We’d love to hear from you! Feel free to reach Meg Adler at firstname.lastname@example.org.