Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Department: Buildings and Grounds
Reports to: Buildings and Grounds Manager
Location: Groveland, CA
Tawonga’s mission is to provide recreational and educational programs for children, adults and families that build self-esteem, create a sense of community, foster connection with nature, and develop spirituality and positive Jewish identity. We run programs at our residential campsite next to Yosemite National Park and in the Bay Area, serving 5,000 people a year.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Camp Tawonga is an Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and is committed to being an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills, and to hiring people of color, LGBTQ individuals and women. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and organizational need.
Job Purpose and Description
Provide a safe, clean and well maintained property.
Shared Values and Expectations
Act as a representative of the organization and demonstrate its goals in a positive and professional manner to all. Demonstrate professionalism and accountability. Take initiative to analyze and solve problems, treat others with courtesy and respect, maintain a high degree of ethics, integrity and confidentiality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain 160 acres and all buildings and systems in working order including septic systems, water system, refrigeration units, and electrical infrastructure, including responding to power failures.
- Ensure safety of camp from natural disasters, animals, and uninvited intruders and trespassers.
- Participate in capital construction projects – new construction and repairs.
- Maintain health and safety of lawns, ball fields and trees.
- Maintain the exterior and interior of all buildings including carpentry and painting.
- Respond to emergencies and urgent repair needs
- Repair and maintain equipment, including laundry machines, refrigerators, hand and power tools, machinery, water heaters, kitchen appliances, vehicles, trailers, etc.
- Keep camp clean and hygienic including housekeeping and trash collection as needed
- Identify ongoing maintenance needs, prioritize and provide timely follow through
- Work with campers on forest stewardship and other “Tikkun Tawonga” (repair Tawonga) projects.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Able to operate lawnmower, weed whacker, and rake for upkeep of lawns and grounds.
- Proficient in some of the following: carpentry, electrical, plumbing, sheetrock, painting, HVAC, tractor operation, and concrete work
- Maintain a current California Driver’s license
- Cooperative attitude and ability to work well with a diverse group of people
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively without supervisor present
- Previous construction and maintenance experience
- Completion of a satisfactory criminal background check and/or fingerprint scan (Live Scan)
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with local and government agencies
- Knowledge of safety regulations and a safety-first mindset
- Demonstrated skill in plumbing installation and repair, electrical repair, rough and finish carpentry, painting and roofing
- General supervision from B&G Manager
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lifting and carrying up to 75 lbs
- Use hands and fingers to operate office equipment and construction tools
- Frequent sitting, standing, climbing, bending, walking, kneeling
- Stamina and willingness to work long hours, in inclement weather and for stretches of days
- Physical strength to perform tasks involved in normal operations of the business
- Noise level is sometimes high
- Hazards normally associated with construction and with the Sierra environment including wildlife not limited to snakes and bears, hot and cold temperatures, and forest fires
Normal Working Hours
- 40 hours/week, Mon-Fri, 7:30am-3:30pm. Willingness to work evenings, weekends or holidays occasionally as scheduled.
Salary and Benefits
- This is a non-exempt, hourly position, $19-21/hour DOE
- This is a fully benefited position with generous benefits including medical, dental, retirement, and more
To ensure consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications for and interest in the position. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Maintenance Technician” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.