Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reports to: Controller
Salary Range: $65,000-$80,000
Location: San Francisco
Tawonga’s mission is to provide educational and recreational programs for children, adults and families that foster self-esteem, lifelong friendships and community, connections with nature, commitment to justice, and positive Jewish identity and spirituality. We run programs at our residential campsite next to Yosemite National Park and in the Bay Area, serving over 5,000 people a year.
About Camp Tawonga’s Culture
At Camp Tawonga, we are a caring, collaborative, joyous group of professionals who take great pride in fulfilling our mission and having fun while doing it. We have deep respect for our community, the children and the families who participate in our programs; for nature and the physical world; and for the Jewish value of “tikkun olam” – repairing the world. Our team has taken many different paths to arrive at Tawonga, from growing up as campers at Camp to being brand new to working at a summer camp or even a nonprofit. We are a Jewish organization, and we welcome and are inclusive of all staff and community members, Jewish and non-Jewish alike. We are committed to JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) and the ongoing reflection, learning and action required to be aligned with these values and create and sustain a race equity culture.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Camp Tawonga is an Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and is committed to being an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills, and to hiring people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals and women. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and organizational need.
Job Purpose and Description
The Staff Accountant ensures timely and efficient management, organization, and maintenance of Camp Tawonga’s core accounting and financial functions and records. This position plays a key role in month, quarter, and year-end functions, including creation and maintenance of schedules and reconciliations. The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Controller and plays a significant role in audits and annual tax preparation. This position also works closely, as needed, with Camp Tawonga’s development team to ensure fundraised dollars are accurately accounted for. The Staff Accountant will integrate with
existing Camp Tawonga systems and processes and will also identify and execute system improvements.
This position does not directly supervise any staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Support Registration and Financial Assistance Manager and/or Admin team with timely billing creation, financial and accounting technical components, invoice processing, and financial transactions related to family accounts
- Generate other invoices and ensure timely payment
- Lead monthly AR reconciliation with Registration and Financial Assistance Manager and Controller; ensure financial information in camper financial database reconciles with accounting software
- Lead monthly reconciliation with Development department, ensuring fundraised dollars are
accurately tracked and accounted for in accounting software
- Enter deposits in coordination with Development department
- Promote internal controls and GAAP practices
Month, Quarter, and Year-End Close
- Support Controller with month-end close reconciliations, including bank accounts, development revenue, personal reimbursements, and clearing account
- Generate, send, and troubleshoot staff spending/budget reports
- Support Controller with year-end close functions, including: schedule review, clearing account,
accuracy of GL coding,
- Support Controller and Senior Director of Finance with creation of schedules, document retrieval, and other key aspects of annual external audit
- Interface with external auditors, as necessary, to meet requests
- Ensure accuracy of materials provided to auditors and support agency’s delivery of a clean audit
- Respond to auditor recommendations and incorporate recommendations as appropriate
Budgeting and Reporting
- Generate and deliver monthly budget reports for staff
- Respond to staff inquiries regarding budget reports
- Respond to staff inquiries on current and historical budget trends and discrete questions
- General support and collaboration with Controller, Senior Director of Finance, and other staff as necessary
- Occasional support with non-accounting, agency-wide functions which require all staff support (e.g. support with summer bus duty)
- Other duties as assigned
Training, Experience, Skills, and Qualities
- Formal accounting experience – minimum one year of bookkeeping experience, including exposure to some of the following: AP/AR, month/year-end close processes and schedules
- MS Excel/Google Sheets proficiency
- Experience with Quickbooks
- Experience with G-Suite
- Ability to hold sensitive information professionally and in confidence
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and passionate about excellence and accuracy in accounting work
- High math competency and a love for numbers
- Fluency with both cash and accrual basis accounting
- Non-profit bookkeeping and/or accounting experience
- Intermediate-level experience with MS Excel/Google Sheets (e.g. Pivot tables, vlookup, and managing/manipulating large data sets
- Experience with Quickbooks Desktop
- Ability to communicate clearly, compassionately, and concisely with people from various
- This position reports directly to the Controller
- This position will occasionally indirectly report to the Senior Director of Finance as appropriate
This position will heavily use the following types of software:
- Microsoft Office/Google Suite
- Gmail and Google Calendar
- QuickBooks Desktop (with possible future transition to QuickBooks Online)
- CampMinder (camper/family database)
- Divvy (credit cards)
- Expensify (expense reimbursement)
- GoCo (HRIS)
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made that enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Typing, writing, reading, hearing, and speaking
- Use of hands and fingers to operate office equipment, especially a computer
- Standing, walking, kneeling, and frequent sitting with some lifting up to 30 pounds
- This role is a hybrid position.
- Camp Tawonga will provide a company laptop, mouse, keyboard, and reasonable accommodations as needed to ensure the employee can work from home.
Noise level is quiet, with occasional moderate noise levels.
- Must be able to support with bus duty (based in the East-Bay, mostly during normal business hours/weekend daytime hours) during the summer, approximately 8 times/summer
- Willingness to work on evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
Normal Working Hours
Normal working hours for this position are Monday thru Friday, 9am to 5pm
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties and/or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Job duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice based on the needs of Camp Tawonga.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt, year-round, and benefited position. The pay range for this position is $65,000 – $80,000, depending on experience and qualifications. Camp Tawonga offers a competitive compensation package which includes medical, dental, life insurance, retirement with company match and contribution (eligible after one year or eligible immediately with 5 consecutive years of non-profit experience), and paid sick and vacation leave.
To ensure consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications for and interest in the position. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with, “Staff Accountant”, in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and Tawonga is seeking to hire for this position as soon as possible.