Job Title: Temporary Staffing Coordinator
Department: Program Team
Reports to: Assistant Director, Kiyomi Gelber
Location: San Francisco
Tawonga’s mission is to provide educational and recreational programs for children, adults and families that help them develop as healthy and participating members of the Jewish and secular communities, locally, nationally and internationally. The agency does this by integrating the themes of personal growth and the development of positive self-esteem, creating cooperative communities, our partnership with the natural world and positive Jewish identification and spirituality. We run programs at our residential campsite next to Yosemite National Park and in the Bay Area, serving 5,000 people a year.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Camp Tawonga is an Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity, and is committed to being an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and to hiring people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and women. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need.
About Tawonga’s Culture
At Camp Tawonga, we are a close-knit, collaborative, joyous group of professionals who take pride in fulfilling our mission and having fun while doing it. We have deep respect for our community, the children, and the families we serve; for nature and the physical world; and for Jewish value of “tikkun olam” – repairing the world. Some of us are life-long camp people and for others, it’s our first time working for a camp. We are a Jewish organization, and we welcome and are inclusive of all staff and community members, Jewish and non-Jewish alike.
We are over two years into our own mission critical JEDI work ( justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) and are committed to both the tough and introspective reflections and learnings it requires and to a refresh of our policies and practices to support an equity culture. We also value interpersonal connection. With COVID, we host informal Zoom lunches and other activities to nurture those connections. We are eager to meet and get to know you.
Values and Shared Expectations
Act as a representative of the organization and demonstrate its goals in a positive and professional manner. Demonstrate professionalism and accountability. Provide excellent customer service. Take initiative to analyze and solve problems, treat others with courtesy and respect, respond to customer needs, maintain a high degree of ethics, integrity, and confidentiality.
The Staffing Coordinator will contribute to the mission of Camp Tawonga by providing assistance in the recruitment, retention, logistics, and hiring of Tawonga seasonal staff. This position will also assist members of the Director Team with various preparations for Camp programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff Hiring
- Review staff applications
- Schedule interviews
- Interview applicants
- Call references
- Collect forms and paperwork
- Perform additional administrative tasks as needed
- Staff Retention and Recruitment
- Post jobs on job boards and with school career centers
- Attend career fairs
- Support staff retention plans, which includes, but is not limited to, phone calls, emails, posts and more
- Support staff events including reunion, retreat and town halls
- Create staff informational packets and forms
- Email hired staff
- Summer Preparation
- Update manuals
- Organize and order supplies
- Prepare and organize supervisor training and in-service training materials
- Support camper management and registration as needed (e.g camper orientations, parent calls)
- Support staff getting to camp and other logistics (rides, bus, etc.)
- Support with COVID prep – testing, forms, health screenings
- Additional Functions
- Collaborate on new programs as needed
- Provide information to community on Camp Tawonga via phone, email, mailings, outreach events and others as assigned
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs including, but not limited to, answering phones and working bus duty in the summer
Training, Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
- Comfortable learning new technical/computer skills and troubleshooting tech issues
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to relate and connect well with teens and young adults
- Maintain confidentiality
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions in routine situations
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to take and implement feedback
- Experience conducting interviews and/or other hiring assessments
- Collaborative group-work experience
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made that enable people to perform the essential functions:
- Typing, writing, reading, hearing and speaking
- Use of hands and fingers to operate office equipment, especially a computer
- Standing, walking, kneeling, and frequent sitting with some lifting up to 30 pounds
Expected Work Schedule
November 29, 2021 – September 30, 2022 (tentatively)
Flexible schedule with a maximum of 20 hours per week, some evenings and weekends will be needed
This is a temporary, part-time, and non-exempt position with an hourly rate of $24-$26 (DOE). This position also has the possibility of joining our summer director team or being a summer supervisor.
Please note that the proposed summer role would not be hourly and would switch to our summer staff pay structure:
- Supervise 3-4 departments
- Support summer logistics
- Part of the summer director team and/or management team
To ensure consideration, please submit a resume and a cover letter email explaining your qualifications for and interest in the position. We will schedule interviews on a rolling basis. Send applications to email@example.com with “Staffing Coordinator” in the subject line.