Lead Educator – Bar, Bat & B’nai Mitzvah Program
Job Title: Lead Educator – Bar, Bat & B’nai Mitzvah Program
Department: Jewish Education
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: East Bay, San Francisco and greater Bay Area
Dates: Part-time position with an eight month commitment: September 2022-May 2023
Tawonga’s mission is to provide recreational and educational programs for children, adults and families that build self-esteem, create a sense of community, foster connection with nature, and develop spirituality and positive Jewish identity. We run programs at our residential campsite next to Yosemite National Park and in the Bay Area, serving 5,000 people a year.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Camp Tawonga is an Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and is committed to being an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills, and to hiring people of color, LGBTQ individuals and women. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and organizational need.
Lead and implement the educational components of the Bar, Bat & B’nai Mitzvah Program. We are looking for a passionate and creative teacher! Applicants must have knowledge of and experience in teaching Jewish holidays, Jewish texts and Tefillah. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, creative, responsible and energetic. The Lead Educator is expected to develop and maintain strong rapport and communication with parents and the program manager throughout the school year.
Shared Values and Expectations
Act as a representative of the organization and demonstrate its goals in a positive and professional manner to all. Demonstrate professionalism and accountability. Take initiative to analyze and solve problems, treat others with courtesy and respect, respond to staff needs, maintain a high degree of ethics, integrity and confidentiality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a lead educator at the Sunday/Saturday Classes (9am-5pm, one-three times per month in San Francisco or Berkeley)
- Lead learning sessions and electives at retreats. (two per year)
- Co-lead family engagement and learning sessions.
- Maintain consistent and effective classroom management.
- Support the overall program.
- Review and provide input on the curriculum.
- Work with Program Manager and Jewish Educator to design retreats.
- Maintain appropriate paperwork (family communication, attendance, student observation forms, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Jewish education and experience
- Experience leading Jewish rituals
- Ability to relate to people from diverse backgrounds, in particular youth
- General interest in youth
- Ability to work with pre-teens, teens, parents and community leaders
- Able to represent agency mission
- Diplomacy, tact, strong work ethic and friendliness
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years related experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Considerable experience and skill working with you
- Knowledge of Camp Tawonga’s Mission and Ethics
- Skill leading various Jewish rituals
- Supervised by the Program Manager
- Supervises assistant teachers and/or counselors
- Must work one to two hours in advance of each class preparing the materials
Additional (optional) Opportunities
- Service Leadership for some of the participants
- Song Leading
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a part-time, nonexempt, non-benefited position. The compensation starts at $50.00 per hour, dependent on experience.
- Service Leadership and Tutoring would be paid by families directly to the Lead Educator.
To ensure consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications for and interest in the position. Send applications to email@example.com with “Lead Educator” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.