Job Title: Staffing Coordinator
Reports to: Assistant Director, Staffing
Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000
Location: San Francisco/Groveland
Tawonga’s mission is to provide educational and recreational programs for children, adults and families that foster self-esteem, lifelong friendships and community, connections with nature, commitment to justice, and positive Jewish identity and spirituality. We run programs at our residential campsite next to Yosemite National Park and in the Bay Area, serving over 5,000 people a year.
About Camp Tawonga’s Culture
At Camp Tawonga, we are a caring, collaborative, joyous group of professionals who take great pride in fulfilling our mission and having fun while doing it. We have deep respect for our community, the children and the families who participate in our programs; for nature and the physical world; and for the Jewish value of “tikkun olam” – repairing the world. Our team has taken many different paths to arrive at Tawonga, from growing up as campers at Camp to being brand new to working at a summer camp or even a nonprofit. We are a Jewish organization, and we welcome and are inclusive of all staff and community members, Jewish and non-Jewish alike. We are committed to JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) and the ongoing reflection, learning and action required to be aligned with these values and create and sustain a race equity culture.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Camp Tawonga is an Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and is committed to being an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills, and to hiring people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals and women. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and organizational need.
Job Purpose and Description
Under the direction and supervision of the Assistant Director of Staffing, the Staffing Coordinator is responsible for performing and delivering on all the program staffing needs. This position will liaison with external international recruiting agencies to fill vacancies for our international staff program(s). This position will also play a pivotal role in supporting the candidate screening and hiring processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Assist the Assistant Director, Staffing with recruiting and hiring staff for all Tawonga programs including summer camp, family camps and weekend programs, Bay Area programs like the Tawonga B’nai Mitzvah Program, Tawonga Family School, high holiday programs, tot shabbats, and more.
- Through staff recruitment, hiring, training, staff experience, and retention, build a Tawonga staff that is a talented, diverse, inspired, dedicated and effective community.
- Support staff in having positive employment experiences – we want people to love working at Tawonga and feel that they are supported in a caring community attuned to the staff’s social, mental and emotional experience.
- Oversee staff recruitment for all positions, including going to career fairs, online job postings for all positions as needed, and personalized outreach
- Conduct staff interviews and reference checks and make job offers
- Provide logistical and administrative support such as data entry, sending communications and contracts to hired staff, collecting missing forms, gathering staff certifications and receipts for reimbursements.
- Partner with the Assistant Director, Staffing to drive improvements to recruitment tools, policies, and processes to ensure the hiring process is a streamlined and high-quality experience for hiring managers and candidates
- Provide regular reporting on staffing and recruitment metrics to the Assistant Director of Staffing
- Support all Tawonga programs with staffing needs such as screening, sourcing, recruiting, interviews, updates to candidates, and reference checks
- Support Assistant Director of Staffing in the preparation of supervisor and staff training
- Coordinate staff logistics including CPR training, rides to programs and forms collections
- Coordinate living and travel arrangements for international staff members before arrival to camp property, etc.
- Support with staff communications, carpool coordination, collecting gas reimbursements, creating weekend staff rosters, and ensuring timely completion of staff forms
- Ensure compliance with fingerprinting, background checks, sex offender screening and other requirements
- Assist with special projects as assigned by the Assistant Director of Staffing
- Support with initiatives, programs, and training promoting justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) in Camp Tawonga’s staffing process
Summer Camp and Family Camps
- Live at Camp in the summer and serve on the Director Team
- Supervise departments, support camper issues and staff issues, programs and logistics
- Meet daily with Director Team and Management Team to ensure the smooth running of Camp
- Work with Director Team to ensure continuous coverage of all departments and personnel while rotating time off
- Direct 2-3 family camps per year and lead other year-round programming as needed
- Create schedules and other training materials for supervisor and staff training
- Collect and print all department manuals
- Serve on year-round team devoted to planning for summer camp and driving continuous improvements and innovation to our programs
Staff Reunion & Staff Retreat
- Coordinate and execute the seasonal staff events (e.g., Staff Reunion and Staff Retreat) with guidance and support from the Assistant Director of Staffing
- Serve as the on-site staff manager on event days to ensure a meaningful, impactful, and excellent experience for all participants
- Research and participate in relevant, ongoing, continuous professional development as it pertains to the role and/or business needs (e.g., training materials, coursework, webinars, etc.)
Training, Experience, Skills, and Qualities
- Positive, can-do attitude and approach
- Ability to assess candidate potential and match skill sets with appropriate roles
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proven ability to work with young adults and children
- Commitment to supporting Tawonga’s efforts to promote justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in all programs
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions in routine and emergency situations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong project management skills including the ability to plan, track and control projects
- Ability to successfully manage numerous independent projects concurrently and maintain high quality standards
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Prior experience working at summer camp, preferably in a supervisory capacity
- Prior experience with staff recruitment, interviewing and hiring
- Ability to take and implement feedback
- This position reports directly to the Assistant Director, Staffing
- This position will supervise the summer office manager and hold year-round responsibilities for camp office operations, technology at camp, and canteen
This position will heavily use the following types of software:
- Microsoft Office/Google Suite
- Gmail and Google Calendar
- CampMinder (camper/family database)
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made that enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Typing, writing, reading, hearing, and speaking
- Use of hands and fingers to operate office equipment, especially a computer
- Standing, walking, kneeling, and frequent sitting with some lifting up to 30 pounds
- This role is a hybrid position.
- This position is expected to relocate to Camp Tawonga’s secondary location in Groveland, CA to work on-site during the Summer. They may also need to be on site for some other times of year as needed (see Special Requirements below).
- Camp Tawonga will provide a company laptop, mouse, keyboard, and reasonable accommodations as needed to ensure the employee can work from home during the off season
- Tawonga’s year round team currently works mostly remotely with a few days in the SF office per month and frequent trips to our Groveland site
- During the summer months, while your work requires you to live at Camp, Tawonga will provide housing, meals, and childcare
- Noise level is moderate if working at camp property in Groveland, CA
- Noise level is moderate if working in Bay Area office
- Must be able to relocate to Groveland site June – August
- May be required to relocate to Groveland site for other weekend program(s) as needed
- Willingness to work on evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
Normal Working Hours
- During the off-season, hours are flexible while completing tasks associated with job description, and while meeting deadlines; normal office hours are 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- During the summer, the camp programmatic day runs from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m., and sometimes longer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties and/or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Job duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice based on the needs of Camp Tawonga.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt, year–round, and benefited position. The annual pay range for this position is $65,000 – $75,000. Camp Tawonga offers a competitive compensation package which includes medical, dental, life insurance, retirement with company match and contribution, and paid sick and vacation leave.
To ensure consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications for and interest in the position. Send applications to email@example.com with, “Staffing Coordinator”, in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and Tawonga is seeking to hire for this position as soon as possible.