Keshet LGBTQ Family Camp
Join Keshet LGBTQ Family Camp for a summer weekend designed for non-traditional families to come together and celebrate who they are!
August 18 – 21, 2022
(Thursday – Sunday)
Keshet LGBTQ Family Camp was founded at Camp Tawonga in 1998 by Deborah Newbrun, Tawonga’s Senior Jewish Educator and former Camp Director. It was the first of its kind in the Jewish camping world, providing a space where non-traditional families did not have to feel like they were in the minority and instead providing a place where they felt encouraged to celebrate who they are, become their best selves, build a strong community, and engage Jewishly.
Since then, the program has grown and evolved into an important family tradition, memorable experience and beautiful community. Growing from 15 families at first to 75 families for Keshet’s 20th anniversary (with a waitlist for several summers), this program continues to flourish. Join us for a beautiful experience for you and your family – adults without children welcome too!
“Keshet” means rainbow in Hebrew, and this innovative program draws a true rainbow of participants from all over the country. Participants enjoy this unique weekend that features all the fun and excitement of summer camp squeezed into four memorable days on Tawonga’s beautiful property alongside the Tuolumne River, nestled in the mountains near Yosemite National Park. This is a weekend you don’t want to miss!
I love that my children get to be here because they are able to see so many other families just like us.
- Adult programmatic offerings ranging from yoga to river hiking to specialized workshops led by renowned educators from across the country
- Family programmatic offerings ranging from Art ‘n’ Crafts to swimming to boating on the lake to climbing the challenge course, and much much more
- Festive, welcoming Shabbat celebration
- Delicious family-style meals
- Free-flowing Peet’s coffee
- Campfire family talent show with s’mores
- Rockin’ adult dance
- Massage therapist on staff for the ultimate relaxation
- Tawonga will follow state and local COVID-19 precautions and modify programs as necessary for COVID-19 safety.
Stories and Press
Keshet is famous! Read the below headlines from Keshet over the years:
- Celebrating 20 Years Of Family Camp — Just For LGBTQIA+ Jews The Forward
- Keshet celebrates 20th year of camp for LGBTQ families The Jewish News of Northern California
- Celebrating Two Decades of Diversity E Jewish Philanthropy
- Making Keshet History E Jewish Philanthropy
- Also check out this recent inspiring reflection about Keshet through the years by Torah scholar and Keshet participant, Sue Reinhold, as well as our 2015 and 2018 Keshet blog posts.