Teens complete internship (including fun, bonding retreats) as certified youth-serving Jewish community staff members and leaders!
Fall 2018 through Summer 2019
10th-12th graders (in Fall 2018)
No prior Tawonga experience required
Cost and Time Commitment
Free! No cost to join trainings, classes and most outings. Only fee incurred is to attend the Teen Winter Retreat and LA trip. It’s our hope that teens attend as many events as possible, but there is no required minimum amount. Come when you can!
How to Register
Can’t come to every event? That’s OK! We’re here to work with your schedule.
Tawonga’s first internship program, launching in fall 2018, is open to all 10th through 12th graders interested in building their resume in the field of youth service. Through 12 months of hands-on, skill-building trainings and classes focused on the uniquely resonant Tawonga way of working with youth, as well as social-justice volunteer outings and social gatherings and retreats, teens will come away inspired and empowered to be change-makers in their Jewish communities.
Upon completion of the program (at which time teens will have staffed real Tawonga programs), all participants will be awarded with a Tawonga Certificate of Youth Training Excellence, granting them paid work status for Tawonga programs as well as for other Jewish agencies.
- Two hands-on youth serving trainings that will begin with Jewish text study as a lens through which to learn (one training required to staff any Tawonga program)
- Skill-building classes that serve as an extension of Camp’s Counselor-In-Training program covering the methods of working with kids in the Tawonga way (to be co-led by the Tawonga Teen Intern 2018 Senior Leadership Council)
- Social justice volunteer outings with local non-profit organizations such as the SF Food Bank and Glide Memorial Church (eligible for community service hours)
- Classic Tawonga bonding fun through Shabbat potlucks, day hikes, dances and Tawonga’s Teen Winter Retreat
- An LA trip over Presidents Day Weekend focused on service plus FUN
- Opportunities to staff and get paid for multiple Tawonga programs, including as TAs in Tawonga’s Bar & Bat Mitzvah Program, counselors at Family Camp and the Teen Winter Retreat, and event staff at Tawonga Down the Mountain programs, as well as madrichim at local JCCs.
- Youth Training Excellence Certificate upon program completion, indicating successful work status for Tawonga programs, including: as TAs in Tawonga’s Bar & Bat Mitzvah Program, Family Camp counselors and Tawonga Down the Mountain event staff. The certificate can be used to build your resume, include on college applications or given to another Jewish agency (synagogue, JCCs) for employment verification.
Calendar of Events
Check out our 2018-2019 Calendar of Events here. Attending every event is not required to join the program. We will work with your schedule!
Feel free to reach Tawonga’s San Francisco office if you have questions about the Tawonga Teen Interns program or how to register: 415.543.2267/[email protected].
Tawonga Teen Interns is part of the Jewish Teen Education and Engagement Initiative, with support provided by the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund and the Jim Joseph Foundation.